Ray Rath of Globalview Advisors developed and instructed a two-day course on “Valuation of Intellectual Property” in conjunction with the Japan Patent Attorneys Association (JPAA) and the Japanese Society of Independent Appraisers (JaSIA). The course was presented at the JPAA offices in Tokyo, Japan on October 30 and 31, 2016.
The course provided a detailed discussion on numerous topics of interest pertaining to Intellectual Property (IP) including:
- Legal, government administrative rules and other developments impacting intellectual property rights and their value;
- Recent developments impacting the overall market for IP;
- Insights on the importance of IP to firm value;
- An overview of different IP valuation models;
- Challenges associated with the development of royalty rates for IP valuation; and
- Case study discussions of IP valuation for different IP rights.
The JPAA was formed in 1915 and is headquartered in in Tokyo, Japan. It’s membership is mandatory for all practicing patent attorneys in Japan. It is the only national, professional bar association of Japanese patent attorneys (Benrishi) with approximately 10,000 members.